Vice President, Deputy Head of Financial Intelligence Unit – Long Island City, New York
As the Vice President (“VP”), Deputy Head of Financial Intelligence Unit (“FIU”), the incumbent is responsible for assisting the First VP (“FVP”), Head of FIU with the oversight and operation of the FCC sub-unit within Apple Bank for Savings (the “Bank”). The FIU acts as a primary subject matter expert (“SME”) concerning transaction monitoring, suspicious activity detection and reporting used to support BSA/AML and OFAC/Sanctions compliance across the Bank.
Specifically, the VP, Deputy Head of FIU is a senior lead SME on regulatory requirements applicable to BSA/AML/USAPA suspicious activity detection and reporting requirements. This position is responsible for assisting with the oversight of a significant staff of managers, analysts and investigators. The position also requires the ability to lead transformational and ad-hoc projects as required, within the FIU, FCC and in conjunction with staff across the Bank as may be necessary.
The incumbent is charged with working with the FVP, Head of FIU and the BSA Officer in the development of the Suspicious Activity Transaction Monitoring program and implementing procedures, processes and identifying opportunities for efficiencies. Additionally, the incumbent will be expected to understand and make ongoing recommendations regarding on-going risk management strategies based upon FIU Investigation/reviews.
- Serving as the backup to the FVP, Head of FIU, in his/her absence.
- Providing direction to FIU Managers (Team Leaders) and assigned staff responsible for conducting complex transactional analysis and investigation reviews for all customer client types.
- Implementing high quality standards and processes to ensure timely completion of all FIU assigned responsibilities, including Suspicious Activity Reports (“SARs”) and Currency Transaction Reports (“CTRs”).
- Ensuring all FIU processes and procedures align with Bank policy and industry best practices. ∙ Supporting FCC involvement with new products and delivery channels including identifying FCC requirements, assessing FCC risks, and reviewing partner documentation.
- Assisting with the coordination of major annual and ad-hoc projects. Reviewing and assuring quality control measures and standards are incorporated into FIU assigned areas of oversight.
- Providing compliance risk and data analysis expertise to BSA/AML/USAPA/OFAC compliance projects, business projects and other initiatives.
- Working with the FCC Systems Unit and making recommendations for enhancements to the transaction monitoring program.
- Assisting with the coordination of responses to external regulators and internal auditors.
- Maintaining a high degree of knowledge of appropriate BSA/AML and OFAC laws and regulations, including regulatory updates and industry best practices.
- Escalating identified BSA/AML/OFAC risks to the FVP, Head of FIU.
- Displaying a high level of professional aptitude and standards.
- Recommending improvements to process in areas of efficiency, control, and work product. ∙ Participating in committee meetings as necessary.
- Ad-hoc and project support responsibilities, as required.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum 5 years of experience in banking compliance, with a strong emphasis on BSA/AML regulations and requirements preferred.
- An undergraduate degree is required and a professional certification is a plus. ∙ Ability to interact with all levels of management, including the Board of Directors. ∙ Ability to manage resources and competing priorities, and strong problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- A team player able to work effectively in a team-fostered, multi-tasking environment.
Apple Bank offers Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k, Tuition Reimbursement and more, to full time employees.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, military and/or veteran status, or any other Federal or State legally-protected classes.