The Unified Communications Engineer is responsible for overseeing any deployment of telephony systems, instant messaging, audio/video/web conferencing, E-Mail and unified-messaging applications. Monitor, troubleshoot, and report any effects of jitter, packet loss, network issues on telephony applications and work closely with the Network engineers to evaluate the cause. Monitor messaging systems including the Email, Archiving and eDiscovery, and Email Relay systems. Perform quarterly and monthly maintenance health checks. Provide PBX (Cloud or On-Premise) support, guidance, and instructions on ACD/Call Center questions and issues. Provide support for additional hardware/software working in concert with PBX (Cloud or on Premise) and any other adjuncts such as Call Recording, Call Reporting, and IVR/Dialer applications. Configure Contact Center call flows and maintain detailed documentation. Manage SaaS vendor relationships and align technology to business needs.
Strategy & Planning
- Collaborate with department leaders to assess near- and long-term Unified Communications capacity needs.
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to Unified Communications configuration, Unified Communications mapping, processes, and service records.
- Develop, implement and maintain policies, procedures, and associated training plans for Unified Communications administration, usage, and disaster recovery.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Design and deploy company Phone Systems and business adjuncts, including servers, hardware and software.
- Design and deploy company Video & Collaboration Systems.
- Conduct research on voice products, services, protocols, and standards to remain abreast of developments in the telephony industry.
- Oversee new and existing equipment, hardware, and software upgrades.
- Learn the Unified Communications architecture including IM, Web conferencing, Audio, video Conferencing and VOIP as deployed in the CB platform.
- Configure Unified Communications services to ensure their smooth and reliable operation for fulfilling business objectives and processes.
- Monitor Unified Communications performance and troubleshoot problem areas as needed.
- Oversee installation, configuration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of company Unified Communications hardware, software, and peripheral devices.
- Ensure connectivity of all Unified Communications servers and other Unified Communications appliances.
- Practice Unified Communications asset management, including maintenance of Unified Communications component inventory and related documentation and technical specifications information.
- Monitor and test VOIP performance and provide VOIP performance statistics and reports.
- Monitor and Test Other Unified Communications services performance including IM, Video Conferencing technologies and Email.
- Participate in managing all Unified Communications security solutions. Perform quarterly security audits.
- Consult with Contact Center Leaders to design and configure Call Flows.
- Learn operation of Unified Communications telephony based application-support functions (Contact Center, Call Reporting, inContact applications.)
- Learn operation of Unified Communications based security appliances and related issues.
- College diploma or university degree in the field of Network management, CIS, Computer Science or closely related field
Additional Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 3 to 5 years of relevant experience in Unified Communications and Contact Center Administration.
- Proven experience and success with VoIP Unified Communications design and implementation.
- Proven experience with Unified Communications capacity planning, Unified Communications security principles, and general Unified Communications management best practices.
- Experience with managing SaaS based UC Providers, preferably FUZE, ZOOM, InContact.
- Excellent hardware troubleshooting experience.
- Competence with testing tools, network packet captures.
Good understanding of the organization's goals and objectives.