The Information Technology Department of our client has an opening for a Systems Engineer in either the Tallahassee or Washington, DC office.
The Systems Engineer will be a member of a highly experienced team responsible for the direction and health of our computer, storage and systems infrastructure with a strong emphasis on maintaining systems in a global enterprise infrastructure, backup and data protection technologies, scripting, project management skills and the ability to work well in a collaborative team environment.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
* Applying knowledge of VMware ESX and related systems to evaluate and maintain the technical environment.
* Working closely with Platform team leads and other team members in a proactive manor.
* Providing support of the VMware environment with the following key responsibilities:
o Providing expertise and support for virtual technologies.
o Building, documenting, and testing VMware virtual solutions.
o Scripting and developing innovative tools to solve operational issues.
o Providing support for the VMware environments.
o Evaluating and analyzing current virtualization infrastructure to provide optimum performance on an ongoing basis.
* Overseeing the day-to-day operation of various backup solutions including hardware/software support, training, and special projects.
* Working closely with application owners to verify successful backups of all necessary data are being completed.
* Actively seeking to understand end user computing needs and ensuring the design, implementations, management, procedures, and automation align with the policies of the Firm and the needs of the users.
* Planning and managing the full life-cycle of complex, multi-phase application integration, and implementation projects.
* Providing written requirements, system architecture designs, test plans, implementation plans and operation guides for designated technologies.
* Analyzing current enterprise and making recommendations for capacity planning, performance tuning and design issues.
* Supporting and monitoring Firm policies and procedures as pertains to the Information Technology Department.
* Identifying and prioritizing system requirements, patches, and enhancements.
* Communicating status and key business information effectively to both executive management and internal clients.
* Working closely with key vendors to support infrastructure, address escalated issues, and keep current with technology portfolio.
* Participating in the on-call rotation to provide infrastructure support for escalated events outside of productions hours, weekends and possibly holidays.
* Meeting deadlines for deliverables.
* College degree preferred; equivalent experience will be considered.
* A minimum of three years of experience in providing VMware and system support in a Microsoft Windows enterprise network.
* Previous employment in legal information technology is desired, but not required.
* Experience with supporting a multi-office, large global enterprise, multi-time zone environment.
* Previous experience in legal information technology preferred (not required).
* Strong support, troubleshooting, and problem resolution capabilities.
* Strong analytical, creative problem solving and process improvement skills.
* A thorough understanding and appreciation of technology and its value to the business.
* Experience working with application development and business teams.
* Excellent communication skills including the ability to translate complex technical requirements/solutions to all executive and management levels.
* Minimum three years' experience with VMware Infrastructure, vSphere v5.x or greater, including ESXi, and Virtual Center Site Recovery Manager
* Experience with managing one of the following storage systems: Pure FlashArray x70, Pure FlashBlade, NetApp ONTAP, EMC VNX, and Hitachi HNAS.
* A minimum of five years of experience as a systems engineer in a client technology focused Windows & VMware virtualization engineering team.
* Significant experience managing Microsoft Server operating systems and Active Directory.
* Experience with Veeam Backup applications, as well as other Data Protection products.
* Experience in building (including installation of VI5 or 6), administering, maintaining and troubleshooting complex VMware environments for test, development and production use.
* Experience performing physical-to-virtual (P2V) and virtual-to-virtual (V2V) conversions for Windows and Linux
* Experience implementing best practices for virtual networking, vMotion, HA, DRS/DPM
* Experience configuring and administering UCS infrastructure and blade systems
* Strong customer service skills and an excellent ability to communicate with and help clients with varying degrees of technical sophistication
* High motivation and personal initiative
* Ability to learn new technology rapidly
* Ability to accomplish projects independently involving a variety of computing technologies and teams
* Ability to work well under pressure, facilitate solutions, and meet deadlines and milestones for projects assigned
* Proven ability to manage multiple priorities and adjust to changing priorities in a professional manner
* Proven ability to maintain and update technical knowledge and skills.
* Demonstrated ability to maintain high ethical standards and strict confidentiality of all information on the network.
* Strong documentation skills using Visio and other tools to maintain current architectural diagrams.
* Flexibility to work additional hours as needed, including weekends, evenings and holidays.
* Scripting experience automating administrative tasks via PowerShell, VBScript, or other automation tools.
* Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving, and strong teamwork skills.
* Demonstrated knowledge of any of the following is preferred: Pure Storage Purity Software, NetApp ONTAP, EMC VNX, Hitachi HNAS, Shared storage solutions, VMware storage integration, VMware Capacity Planner, VCOPS, VCP Certification, Site Recovery Manager, Cisco UCS, HP Blade servers, Microsoft MCSE and/or ITIL Foundations certification.