Summary of the Job:
The mission for the senior full-stack engineer is to work on the development phase of projects, working with the engineers and managers to implement the new features for our platform. The candidate needs to be curious, agile, and laser-focused on digging and finding root causes of issues, understand complex logic for applications with high-level of traffic. The candidate is expected to show a strong teamwork capability with a mentoring mindset. Self-learning and learn-by-doing are critical principles, and the candidate must be able to evolve within a challenging environment with constant change.
- Collaborate closely with your engineering peers to deliver robust scalable, supportable web services for supporting business-critical functions connecting our consumers to our employer suite of products
- Own and monitor the reliability/performance of critical services at a massive scale
- Provide full-stack engineering support to optimize and operate one of the top Alexa ranked websites in the world
- Contribute to a culture of learning, collaboration and innovation; we expect you to communicate effectively by contributing/reviewing pull requests, participating in design/architectural meetings, and working with our business stakeholders
- Constantly learn and stay current with industry trends/patterns
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong AWS expertise - Candidate must display mastery of working with the following AWS components: EC2 management with AutoScaling groups, Launch Templates, AMI, VPC, CodeDeploy, Cloudfront, Route 53, S3, RDS, Elasticache, Permissions with IAM, users, roles & policies.
- AWS CLI and SDK.
- Strong Software expertise - Nginx server & syntax management, Apache management with its modules, host configuration, performance configuration.
- Strong Development Skills - Ruby on Rails server environment: Passenger, Puma, Thin, Unicorn. Candidate must be able to develop in at least Ruby and NodeJS. A minimum experience of 5 years is required.
- Security awareness - Candidate must be sensitive to solution with built-in security and be responsive to recent security threats/CVE. Also, keeping things up to date and ability to modernize older solutions is essential.
- Cost & performance - Candidate should be aware of some cost control principles and use technology to reduce costs when possible. To perform in this area, key solutions are: AWS Spot/Reserved Instances, server-less applications, application & code optimization. Expertise in caching solution is required: Redis and Memcached.
- Automation - CI/CD: TeamCity, Jenkins, Chef and Capistrano. Custom bash scripting. GitHub code flow (releases, wrapping & shipping code version, forking/branching).
This role does not have supervisory responsibilities
Computer Science Degree or Equivalent
Minimum Years of Experience:
5+ years of experience
- Frequent phone and computer use
- Creating written communications
- Able to sit/stand at a desk
- Able to bend, sit, stand, lift boxes or equipment (between 0-15 lbs)
- Able to travel occasionally both domestically and internationally