The Data Science Application Development (DSAD) team develops, operates, and maintains a suite of document classification and data intelligence web services that power data-driven applications for both job seekers and job posters across CareerBuilder. Within CareerBuilder's SOA ecosystem, DSAD functions as a service provider to customer-facing product teams and back-end data processing teams. The team collaborates closely with the Data Science R&D team to transform their research into consumable APIs. From geocoding and job title classification to resume parsing, skills extraction and more, the data enrichment services we provide are core to nearly every major CareerBuilder product and represent a key market differentiator for the business.
As a key service provider for numerous downstream customers throughout the department, the DSAD team places a strong emphasis on speed and reliability of our services. Many of our services average 20ms response time or less and we're working toward achieving 99.9% success rates across our platform. We run our APIs on Amazon Web Services (AWS) and leverage tools such as NewRelic, Jenkins, and Terraform for application monitoring, and multi-region automated deployments. DevOps is a major component of the DSAD engineering role; you'll be helping us scale to meet the demand of a 1,000,000+ requests/minute distributed platform with zero negative customer impact. When you're not tuning auto-scaling policies or querying historical error data to track down an error spike, you'll be working with the code that supports these services (primarily Java, with a sprinkling of C#, Python, and Scala). This means building new features, evolving existing ones, and refactoring to maintain clarity and tidiness in an ever-changing code base. We understand that a single-minded focus on feature additions is unsustainable and regularly incorporate tech debt work into our sprints.
A strong candidate for the Software Engineer role on the Data Science Application Development team will meet most of the following qualifications:
- Bachelors degree or higher in Computer Science or a related field.
- 2+ years of experience in professional software development, preferably building highly available and highly scalable web services and customer-facing APIs.
- 2+ years of experience developing in Java or a similar general-purpose language.
- Strong grasp of computer science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures and algorithm design.
- Demonstrated ability to produce clean, scalable and easily maintainable code.
- Familiarity with RESTful API design.
- Familiarity with cloud computing platforms such as AWS or Azure.
- Experience working in an agile development environment.
- Strong sense of ownership, urgency and drive.
- A passion for learning new skills and technologies.
- A team player with strong empathy for our internal and external customers.
- Relentless focus on delivering the best end user customer experience via effective customer communication and by minimizing on-call events.
- Interest in CareerBuilder's mission and the Data Science space.