Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
Software engineering is the application of engineering to the design, development, implementation, testing and maintenance of software in a systematic method. The roles in this function will cover all primary development activity across all technology functions that ensure we deliver code with high quality for our applications, products and services and to understand customer needs and to develop product roadmaps.
These roles include, but are not limited to analysis, design, coding, engineering, testing, debugging, standards, methods, tools analysis, documentation, research and development, maintenance, new development, operations and delivery. With every role in the company, each position has a requirement for building quality into every output. This also includes evaluating new tools, new techniques, strategies; Automation of common tasks; build of common utilities to drive organizational efficiency with a passion around technology and solutions and influence of thought and leadership on future capabilities and opportunities to apply technology in new and innovative ways.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Drives reliability into systems across the enterprise
- Utilize scripting & development skills to reduce operational man-hours and reduce time to restore for incidents.
- This should include implementing practices that support Agile and Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery (CI / CD) principles
- Perform Information Technology Service Management (ITSM) tasks without supervision, and able to provide direct feedback to improve ITSM processes
- Create complex architecture design models that describe enterprise solutions that both conform to enterprise standards and advocates for modern technology and best practices
- Provide end-to-end support and leadership of multiple platforms. Leverage modern tools and instrumentation to drive reliability and meet Service Level Objectives (SLOs)
- Demonstrable understanding of key networking technologies, and ability to include this understanding in troubleshooting and problem management
- Utilize monitoring tools to track performance and availability of applications and determine trends. Ability to coach others in learning this technology
- Utilize log forwarding technology to troubleshoot problems and identify trends. Ability to coach others in learning this technology
- Encourage collaboration and cohesiveness within their team
- Lead teams outside their immediate organization in implementing SRE principles
- Complete tasks with minimal guidance and oversight, and review work of others
- Demonstrate integrity and ethical behavior by complying with applicable laws, regulations and policies, and requiring the same from others
- Leverage diversity and inclusion to bring in the right talent, drive employee engagement and foster teamwork and collaboration
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience
- 4+ years of professional IT experience (system administration, software development, or a combination), with steadily increasing responsibilities
- 2+ years of experience designing and building highly distributed, reliable systems
- 2+ years of experience as a Site Reliability Engineer
- Experience planning and supporting +99.99% availability against critical applications in production
- Experience with Agile & CI/CD methodologies and enabling automation within development teams
- Experience working with Linux/Unix, Microsoft Azure, and/or OpenShift
- Experience working with WAS/Tomcat application servers
- Experience working with PostgreSQL and/or DB2 database
- Experience with one or more modern monitoring and log forwarding tools such as Dynatrace, Splunk, Prometheus etc.
- Clear understanding of security best practices
- Increasing knowledge of and leverage cutting edge IT industry technologies and trends to support highly available distributed systems, and the transformation of legacy systems
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or a similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. Employees must comply with any state and local masking orders. In addition, when in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are expected to wear a mask in areas where physical distancing cannot be attained
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
Technology Careers with Optum. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the health care industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $64,800 to $116,000. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.