Senior Counsel - Vice President
New York, NY
Apple Bank is seeking to hire a Senior Counsel to work with the bank’s Export Credit & Commercial and Industrial business unit. The attorney filling this role needs to have experience in or more of the following areas: (i) large bank syndicated lending, (ii) asset-based finance, (iii) trade finance, and/or (iv) export credit. This position will report to the Assistant General Counsel for the Export Credit & Commercial and Industrial business unit and work on syndicated and asset based loan structuring, with a particular emphasis on transactions in the commercial aircraft, transportation, infrastructure, and specialized industry sectors. The Senior Counsel would also have responsibility for legal oversight of loan and structured finance originations, including the review and drafting of the related transaction and loan documentation. Additionally, from time to time the Senior Counsel would provide limited support to the Commercial Real Estate (“CRE”) business unit and handle other matters that the General Counsel of the Bank may assign.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Structure transactions and draft, review, and analyze term sheets and related transaction documentation.
- Manage closing checklists, transaction documentation reviews, and post-closing follow-up documentation for syndicated loans, asset-based loans, trade finance transactions and specialized financing transactions, in certain instances guaranteed by an export credit agency or private credit insurer.
- Negotiate, review, and draft loan modification documentation for syndicated loans, asset-based loans, and as needed, CRE loans.
- Work with the Export Credit & Commercial and Industrial business unit and CRE business unit on LIBOR transition and perform other duties as assigned by manager and General Counsel.
Skills, Education and Experience
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree required and must have active license to practice law in New York State.
- 2-5 years of law firm experience or similar experience as an in-house lawyer primarily handling either large bank syndicated lending, asset-based finance, trade finance and/or export credit finance.
- Demonstrated negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent analytical skills, with the ability to think creatively and identify innovative solutions as well as the ability to clearly articulate complex concepts and ideas.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to provide clear, correct and concise written and oral advice in a business context.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to new or unfamiliar challenges or areas of responsibility.
Apple Bank offers Medical/Dental,Vision, 401k and Tuition Reimbursement to full time employees.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, military and/or veteran status, or any other Federal or State legally-protected classes.