The Region Tax Supervisor helps oversee taxation for the region (e.g., compliance, audits, planning, and incentive credit work for all UPS subsidiaries, etc.). He/She is part of the Decentralized Tax group which is both directly and indirectly responsible for all taxes that are not based on income (sales, property, gross receipts, incentives, and audits). This position supervises specialists.
The Region Tax Supervisor develops the income tax credit work product to ensure accurate data is provided to the Corporate Tax department. He/She oversees region’s tax reporting to ensure compliance with tax laws. This position performs legal research to obtain knowledge of tax planning opportunities for audit and compliance issues. The Region Tax Supervisor determines employees’ training needs to produce continuous development plans.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Gathers and assembles information and documentation from UPS resources to ensure the incentive credit program for the region is properly managed
- Works with internal UPS staff to gather necessary information (e.g., projects, expansion plans, etc.) and documentation for applicable incentives, credits, and grants
- Performs legal research and maintains awareness of tax laws for tax types to ensure compliance
- Trains, manages, and reviews tax personnel in the compliance area to ensure proper performance of duties
- Attends external tax workshops and seminars where tax planning ideas are generated to determine utilization of available tax planning opportunities
- Assists in all tax audits (e.g., sales tax, personal property, payroll, pension, etc.) for the region to ensure timely and correct filing
Knowledge and Skills
- Accounting Knowledge: Demonstrates basic knowledge of accounting theory and principles
- Finance Knowledge: Demonstrates an understanding of basic financial terminology and concepts such as cash flows, operating profit/loss, and net income; conducts financial analyses
- Legal, Regulatory, and Compliance Knowledge: Demonstrates a basic understanding of the functions, regulations, and procedures of compliance agencies or governing bodies; takes a leadership position in programs that reduce risk and enhance safety
- Bachelor’s Degree (or internationally comparable degree) in Finance or Accounting - Preferred
- Experience in Incentive Credit Work - Preferred
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law