Paralegal – Corporate Governance – Manhattan, New York
Apple Bank is seeking a highly motivated and detail-oriented individual to join the Governance and Corporate Secretarial Group in our growing Legal Department. The position will support the Bank’s corporate governance initiatives and assist with Board matters, the executive management committee process and other management committee processes, regulatory and audit examinations and other corporate secretary-related matters. The position will play a key role in the Governance and Corporate Secretarial Group, which is led by the Head of Governance and includes two additional lawyers and a paralegal. The role will report to the Head of Governance and will support the work of the Head of Governance, and the Governance and Corporate Secretarial Group as a whole.
You will work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and will have the opportunity to work independently and as part of a legal team, that provides crucial support to the Board and the Bank as a whole. You must be able to adapt to changing priorities and business needs, and must be proactive in identifying areas of need and generating action plans.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with executive management committee governance process.
- Assist with distribution of Board and Management Committee documents to regulators.
- Assist with preparation for Board Meetings and materials distribution and upload – assist attorneys with Board/Committee meetings and document review meeting logistics; coordinate and assemble meeting material books and uploads onto the board of directors online portal (BoardVantage);
- Assist with minute taking and indexing, as appropriate.
- Respond to Regulatory and Internal Audit related corporate governance requests - this happens regularly and is onerous and usually requires immediate attention. Corporate governance information requests are a routine part of regulatory and IA exams.
- Maintain accurate and current officer, director and corporate governance information in the Corporate Governance Files so they are readily available for distribution to regulators.
- Assist with annual D&O Questionnaire process.
- Assist with Annual Director Self-Evaluation process.
- Stay current on new regulatory requirements and corporate best practices; assists in researching Bank regulations and New York state corporate law.
- Provide project related support, research and analysis of corporate and governance related matters and handling other issues and requests for information as directed by Governance attorneys.
Skills, Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree and prior experience as a paralegal.
- Typically has at least 5-7 years of experience as a corporate governance paralegal or similar function in a Bank, law firm or corporate legal department.
- 3+ years’ knowledge and experience working with banking regulatory requirements, preferred.
- 3+ years’ experience managing documentation, formation, of multiple legal entities.
- Advanced legal research and investigative skills.
- Demonstrated ability to handle a wide variety of corporate secretarial and governance matters and a good understanding of processes and procedures related to corporate governance and entity structure and maintenance.
- Experience with Board meeting management and Board of Directors Portal such as BoardVantage platform or Diligent.
- Highly motivated, self-starter who takes initiative.
- Advanced technical and legal writing skills with legal and banking terminology.
- Ability to prioritize and juggle multiple tasks in fast-paced environment.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, working within deadlines.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, Project, Access, SharePoint, etc.).
- Proven ability to produce accurate work product; strong attention to details.
- Superb organization skills and abilities.
- Strong and effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of staff including directors and executives.
- Ability to understand banking-related information bank regulations, and other formal/legal guidance.
- Ability to handle confidential or sensitive matters.
Apple Bank offers Medical/Dental,Vision, 401k and Tuition Reimbursement to full time employees.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, military and/or veteran status, or any other Federal or State legally-protected classes.