The Merchandiser Trainee is responsible for origination, marketing and execution of Canola Meal, Cottonseed Meal, and Whole Cottonseed for an assigned group of customers. The key objective of this position is to create sales and growth in the market place, develop arbitrage and risk management skills, and to reach and exceed profitability goals. This is achieved through customer contact, providing excellent customer service, and growing the customer base with focus on increasing profits and margins.
Essential Job Functions:
- Directly participate in day-to-day analysis of merchandising & trading of the commodity market.
- Develop and implement a plan for merchandising to local customers & surrounding areas.
- Assist in the growth of producer and commercial customers as well as building relationships and maintaining current customers.
- Execute hedging orders and position management.
- Purchase and sell assigned commodities from/to targeted customers by providing them with excellent marketing analysis and recommendations about their business transactions.
- Oversee logistics functions of all shipments of the business unit including the management of freight.
- Demonstrate regular attendance and timeliness in reporting to work, meetings and completing assignments
Other Job Functions:
- Develop and maintain customer-oriented marketing plans fostered by extensive customer contacts.
- Participate in the development of merchandising tactics in the business unit
- Effectively research and resolve accounting and logistical issues as they arise
- Assist with the development of marketing goals for the assigned location
- Conduct and promote strong moral and ethical operation and principles consistent with company policy
- Additional tasks as assigned by department and/or management
- Bachelors of Science and/or Master in Business Administration in Marketing, Economics, and/or Agriculture or related field required.
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills
- Ability to perform in a high-stress and fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated understanding of commodity markets, hedging and commodity flows
- Customer service skills and positive, persuasive attitude
- Self-motivated with excellent communication skills
- Must have understanding and ability to maintain confidential information
- 1-2 years’ Agribusiness related experience preferred
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 90% of the time
- Position requires operation of a computer and other standard office equipment, such as a copy machine, calculator, phone, computer printer up to 90% of the time
- Frequently communicates with employees, truckers and customers in the office and at remote locations
- Travel up to 20% of the time may be required