We’re the obstacle overcomers, the problem get-arounders. From figuring it out to getting it done… our innovative culture demands “yes and how!” We are UPS. We are the United Problem Solvers.
About Information Management at UPS Technology:
Our Information Management teams are responsible for designing and supporting data solutions to meet UPS’s rapidly changing business needs. Our team is comprised of individuals who are experts in data management, compliance and governance. We ensure quality, completeness, availability, protection, understanding and effective use of our data assets. Our ability to organize and design data provides the foundation which enables many of UPS’ core processes.
About this role:
The Data Scientist will leverage advanced analytics to solve some of the most interesting business problems across the UPS enterprise. As a key member of a growing global team, he/she will operate in a fast-paced environment and take on multiple roles. He/she will have access to large volumes of structured and unstructured data as well as the ability to allocate vast computing resources, including GPU’s, to speed up work. The candidate will employ tools and applications that can fast-track manual steps such as ETL, data exploration, etc. He/she will have the opportunity to research and experiment with innovative new techniques in machine learning, statistics, and operations research. The candidate will have the freedom to attend conferences and training sessions, and collaborate with partner universities, to further skillset. The selected candidate will primarily serve in an individual contributor role with a focus on hands-on technical work. However, he/she may be asked to take on non-technical assignments such as business requirements gathering.
- Exceptional technical writing skills
- Ability to communicate complex data in a simple, actionable way
- Ability to visualize data in the most effective way possible for a given project or study
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience with machine learning and AI
- Familiarity with data management tools
- Ability to work independently and with team members from different backgrounds
- Excellent attention to detail
- Identifies and champions new initiatives aimed at delivering value to business stakeholders in the field of predictive, prescriptive models
- Evaluates open-source and vendor-based tools, such as applications, platforms, frameworks and programming languages
- 3-5 years of experience in the field including but not related to master’s internships and related work experience
- Basic Knowledge on software development principles and architecture
- Good analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to break down and understand complex business problems, define a solution and implement it using advanced quantitative methods.
- Familiarity with programming for data analysis; ideally Python, SQL, or R.
- Solid oral and written communication skills, especially around analytical concepts and methods.
- Great work ethic and intellectual curiosity.
- Knowledge of Cloud technologies such as Google (BigQ, Tensorflow, Keras) or Azure (Spark, Databricks)
- Must be a team player with excellent communication and problem-solving skills and have experience working with customers across Types: Full-time, Contract
- Must be a team player with excellent communication and problem-solving skills and have experience working with customers across
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Social Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering or related field.
This position offers an exceptional opportunity to work for a Fortune 50 industry leader. If you are selected, you will join our dynamic technology team in making a difference to our business and customers. Do you think you have what it takes? Prove it! At UPS, ambition knows no time zone.
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law