Certified Cancer Registrar
Job Role: Certified Cancer Registrar
Location: Indianapolis, IN 46204
Expected Duration: 12 Months Contract
Components of the NPCR program standards as assigned: administration (manuals and reports),
electronic data exchange, data content and format, data completeness/timeliness/quality, data quality
assurance, data use, data submission, and collaborative relationships. Performs other duties as may be
assigned from time-to-time.
Requires Associate degree or equivalent. Bachelor's degree preferred
Must have and maintain current Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR) credential.
Requires experience in health information management or cancer registry.
Requires experience in database management.
Requires demonstrated ability to train others.
Requires ability to build effective working relationships.
Requires problem solving and analytical skills.
Requires attention to detail.
Requires strong written and verbal communication skills.
Requires ability to handle sensitive patient data and must maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
Requires organizational and interpersonal skills.
Requires ability to work independently.
Requires ability to manage projects.
Supervisory Responsibilities/Direct Reports:
No supervisory responsibilities will be required.
Difficulty of Work:
Workload is broad in scope and of great intricacy, involving integration of knowledge from a variety of
sources into program standards, and the relating of these standards to sources reporting and requesting
cancer data. Professional judgement and logic are required in applying extremely complex coding rules
and standards to detailed medical information and ensuring compliance with changing requirements.
Work requires extensive knowledge and technical expertise using various cancer registry software
programs. Incumbent must work within the confines of a highly confidential setting, ensuring protection of
confidentiality of patients and healthcare providers. Must perform work in conformity with State and
Employee Name: To Be Decided
Agency: Department of Health BU:
Division: Division of Chronic Disease Primary Care & Rural Health Section/District: N/A
Job Title: Certified Cancer Registrar Job Code: N/A
Working Title (if different from above):
Reports To: Cancer Surveillance Section Director
Effective Date :
This document is used to provide
a basic description of essential
duties and other work elements.
Federal laws and a variety of national standard-setting organizations, but application and implementation
require broad interpretation and judgement.
Conduct the following activities by a Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR), as required, which may include, but
are not limited to:
1. Case finding, including identifying reportable cases by reviewing pathology reports, disease
indexes, treatment records or logs, medical records, and other sources.
2. Abstracting cases, including ones from hospitals or non-hospitals, or death clearance sources
accurately and correctly.
3. Teaching or reviewing case finding methods at reporting facilities.
4. Performing quality control reviews or making corrections in abstracted data.
5. Conducting non-clerical activities related to death clearance and follow-back.
6. Conducting non-clerical activities related to reporting from non-hospital sources, including follow-
back activities to obtain more information.
7. Conducting case finding or re-abstracting audits and preparing a written report by the end of the
month following the month of the audit.
8. Assessing and improving the quality, completeness, and timeliness of cancer registry data at the
Indiana State Cancer Registry (ISCR) in accordance with state and federal requirements.
9. Creating a backup of any cases abstracted off-site and sending to ISCR via the State-approved
FTP site or other agreed upon medium, in a timely manner and as required.
10. Installing, applying, and correcting or resolving all edit checks prescribed by ISCR, such as the
Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the North American Association of Central
Cancer Registries (NAACCR), Rocky Mountain Cancer Data Systems (RMCDS), or other cancer
registry software edit-checking programs.
11. Resolving problems related to cancer reporting or computer hardware or software.
12. Establishing or improving systems, methods, and mechanisms to report cancer data in hospital or
non-hospital facilities to ensure complete and accurate case reporting.
13. Conducting individual education and training at reporting facilities on establishing cancer
registries, reporting requirements, reportable cases, case finding procedures, data collection,
abstracting and coding cancer data, state reporting, cancer registry software programs, and/or
quality control methods.
14. Lead the development and maintenance of the ISCR definitions, rules, and procedures in a policy
and procedure manual by maintaining a working knowledge of current state and national standard
15. Consulting in any other areas deemed necessary as directed by ISCR.
16. Conducting administrative or clerical activities related to death clearance, reporting from non-
hospital sources, and follow-back that do not require the assistance of a CTR:
17. Conducting administrative or clerical activities related to the digital capturing of documents or any
other administrative or clerical duties that do not require the assistance of a CTR.
18. Other duties as needed
Personal Work Relationships:
Incumbent maintains contact with supervisor, registry staff, division and agency staff, vendors, and
healthcare providers for the purpose of discussing problems, answering administrative or technical
questions, disseminating current information on registry procedures and requirements, and obtaining or
furnishing statewide cancer surveillance data. Maintain confidentiality of all data and documents that
contractor is exposed to while performing authorized duties before, during, and after cessation of
employment or other professional affiliation, in accordance with all local, state, and federal rules,
regulations, and policies.
Standard office work
Work is performed in a standard office environment.
Interested candidates please send resume in Word format Please reference job code 128343 when responding to this ad.