The General Ledger Supervisor is responsible for the maintenance of the general ledger and the monthly accounting cycle. He/She has thorough knowledge of GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) and administers all internal standards. This position ensures that accounting transactions are properly recorded, posted, processed, and reported to ensure accurate presentation of the balance sheet and income statement. He/She responds to internal customer escalations and ensures compliance with internal financial and accounting controls. The General Ledger Accounting Supervisor directs the preparation of monthly and quarterly financial reports, profit and loss statements, control checklists, and statistical information. He/She assists all business units during the budget planning process. This position supervises administrative employees as well as specialists.
The General Ledger Supervisor monitors general ledger maintenance and monthly accounting processing activities to ensure thoroughness and accuracy, as well as communicates corporate compliance policies to ensure regulatory knowledge and compliance. He/She has a working knowledge of critical systems (e.g., Oracle, Virtual Trader, Khalix, E2K, etc.) and subsystems (e.g. Payroll, Billing, Accounts Payable, etc.) that are essential to the specific responsibilities of the position, and serves as a subject matter expert to develop Accounting application guidelines.
- Responds to customer escalations and exceptions to research and resolve inquiries in a timely manner.
- Works with business units to identify process work that allows migration opportunity to Shared Services Site.
- Communicates process objectives, steps, and changes to ensure processes are performed in compliance with EWAPPM standards.
- Identifies and analyzes process errors and anomalies (e.g., coding errors, variance analysis, etc.) to ensure customers receive thorough and accurate replies for improving ineffective processes.
- Reviews SOX and Self Audit findings to improve processes and ensure quality and efficiency compliance.
- Evaluates reporting requirements to ensure systems meet operating guidelines and regulatory standards.
- Develops and conducts systems training to provide new processes for enhancing efficiency and productivity.
- Certifies and trains on reconciliations in compliance to US GAAP.
- Supervises a department with a staff of 10-15 people.
- Demonstrates a broad business and accounting knowledge; describes generally accepted accounting practice (GAAP) methods.
- Considers industry and financial trends when making account decisions; understands critical aspects of business models and operating structures to provide input into decisions.
- Distinguishes between “big picture” concepts and comments and specialized, smaller specific facts associated with work; notes the specifics of events and experiences; explains, in general, how details impact end goals or outcomes; ensures that work is completed accurately and with the appropriate level of detail.
- Demonstrates an understanding of basic financial terminology and concepts such as cash flows, operating profit/loss, and net income; conducts financial analyses.
- Addresses and resolves issues impacting information systems reporting; looks for ways to minimize report generation and required storage; modifies existing report formats; creates and interprets customized reports; integrates data, information, and documents from multiple software programs; writes more complex report queries.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance or Accounting - Preferred
- Ability to communicate fluently in Spanish - Preferred
- Certified Public Accountant - Preferred
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law