You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
As Patient Access Representative, we are often the first point of contact for our patients and their families. As such we value representing an important first impression. Our professionalism, expertise and dedication help ensure that our patients receive the quality of care they need. This position communicates effectively with patients by accepting either inbound or outbound calls to identify their needs. This may include reviewing protocols and patient history; scheduling/rescheduling/confirming/canceling appointments. This position builds strong communication skills and standard knowledge of scheduling, including the ability to navigate confidently through basic protocols.
This position is full-time (40 hours/week). Employees are required to work 8 hour shifts between our normal business hours of 7:00am – 7:00pm EST. Additional information will be provided during the interview process. It may be necessary, given the business need, to work occasional overtime.
We offer 4 weeks of training. The hours during training will be 9:00am to 5:00pm EST, Monday - Friday. Training will be conducted virtually from your home.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
- Communicates directly with patients and / or families on the phone to complete the registration process by collecting patient demographics, health information, and verifying insurance eligibility / benefits
- Responds to patient and caregivers inquiries related to routine and sensitive topics always in a compassionate and respectful manner
- Utilizes computer systems to enter access or verify patient data in real - time ensuring accuracy and completeness of information
- Obtains current patient information for established and new patients
- Accurately enters/updates patient information in scheduling system
- Identifies payer source and verifies insurance eligibility
- Reviews scheduling system for needed updated demographics and consent forms
- Identifies patients by date of birth and name in computer system.
- Creates new account if patient not in the system.
- Schedules and re-schedules appointments as needed.
- Provide messages or transfer the call to physicians and nurses
- Protects/observes patient confidentiality per policies and procedure.
- Accurately imports registration documents into patients' electronic health record
- Other duties as needed
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- 6+ months experience in an office setting, customer service setting (over the phone or face to face) or phone support role
- 1+ years of experience working in a call center environment
- Familiarity with computer and Windows PC applications, which includes the ability to learn new and complex computer system applications
- Ability to work to work 8 hour shifts between our normal business hours of 7:00am – 7:00pm EST.
- 1+ years of medical office or medial scheduling experience in a hospital or medical setting
- Understanding of medical terminology
- Bilingual fluency in English and Spanish
- Working knowledge of insurance policies and procedures and patient care settings
- Ability to input data accurately into computer system, ability to learn new and complex computer system applications
- Ability to effectively interact with physicians, patients and other staff members, good interpersonal and active listening skills
- Ability to accurately takes messages and convey information to recipient, detail oriented with good written skills
- Ability to keep all company sensitive documents secure (if applicable)
- Required to have a dedicated work area established that is separated from other living areas and provides information privacy.
- Must live in a location that can receive a UnitedHealth Group approved high-speed internet connection or leverage an existing high-speed internet service.
California, Colorado, Connecticut, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Washington or Rhode Island Residents Only: The hourly range for California / Colorado / Connecticut / Nevada / New York / New Jersey / Washington / Rhode Island residents is $16.00 - $27.31 per hour. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone–of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location, and income–deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups, and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes — an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
- Active Listening
- Call Centers
- Customer Service
- Health Care