**This early careers full-time finance internship position with mergers and acquisitions will be available starting in June 2024**
**UnitedHealth Group is not able to offer visa sponsorship now or in the future for this position**
Internships at UnitedHealth Group. If you want an intern experience that will dramatically shape your career, consider a company that’s dramatically shaping our entire health care system. UnitedHealth Group internship opportunities will provide a hands-on view of a rapidly evolving, incredibly challenging marketplace of ideas, products and services. You’ll work side by side with some of the smartest people in the business on assignments that matter. So here we are. You have a lot to learn. We have a lot to do. It’s the perfect storm. And even better? Join us and you may end up staying for a career in which you can do your life’s best work.(sm)
UnitedHealth Group (“UHG”) is a Fortune 5 diversified health care company that generates over $300 billion in revenue and employs ~400,000 diverse team members. UHG is comprised of two distinct, but strategically aligned businesses: UnitedHealthcare (“UHC”) and Optum. UnitedHealthcare is the largest U.S. health insurer, serving over 50 million members and enables better health outcomes for its members. Optum is UHG’s health services platform and provides health care administrative support and employs more physicians than any other medical group in the country. Optum serves nearly 130 million Americans.
UHG M&A Overview:
UHG M&A is the largest and most active buy-side M&A health care team in the country. The team consists of approximately 40 experienced Mergers & Acquisitions (“M&A”) professionals with backgrounds in private equity, investment banking, venture capital or health care operations. The UHG M&A team is the engine of UnitedHealth Group's deal strategy and execution and leads all inorganic growth initiatives on behalf of UHC and Optum. This includes, but is not limited to, acquisitions, partnerships, joint-ventures and minority investments. The group is an enterprise talent incubator that develops critical thinking and analytical skills, effective communication and industry-wide perspectives through a culture of excellence. This high-performing team is a trusted advisor that enables the realization of UnitedHealth Group's broader mission. UHG M&A annually evaluates more than 500 transactions and in 2022 deployed ~$25 billion of capital.
UHG M&A Intern Role Overview:
The UHG M&A Intern role puts motivated students on deal teams positioned at the forefront of the most active buy-side M&A health care group in the country. Summer Analysts should expect to learn basic financial forecasting and business valuation expertise, develop tactical transaction management skills by participating in live transactions, while also learning about UHG’s businesses and overall strategy. As a member of our M&A team, you will see firsthand how UnitedHealth Group is improving health care across the ecosystem while also gaining exposure to the responsibilities of current full-time analysts in UHG M&A.
- Gaining exposure to building financial forecasts, including but not limited to, projecting a target’s future financial performance
- Deploying different valuation methodologies (DCF, precedent transactions, trading comparables and LBO) and performing various return metric calculations (EPS accretion / dilution analysis and IRR)
- Supporting deal teams in financial due diligence on potential acquisition opportunities
- Researching publicly available information on different health care sectors, including health care technology, care delivery, insurance and care services, among others
- Assisting with the coordination of large, internal diligence teams comprised of operational and legal subject matter experts
- Providing support for special projects (e.g., new industry research, strategic financial analyses and new business initiatives, among others)
- Participating in informational sessions to increase knowledge about UHG’s businesses
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Must be actively enrolled in an accredited college / university during the duration of the internship (internships are not intended for graduating seniors)
- Basic knowledge of financial modeling and valuation techniques
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship, now or in the future, for employment-based work authorization (F-1 students with practical training and candidates requiring H-1Bs, TNs, etc. will not be considered)
- Minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Financial Analyst, Intern, Minnetonka, Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota