Volunteers of America was founded in Rochester in 1901. Volunteers of America works to break the cycle of poverty through an array of programs which include:
- Housing and support services for homeless individuals and families
- Care and educational programs for at-risk children
- Crisis assistance, including food and clothing
- Homelessness prevention programs
- Working Wardrobe for adults seeking employment
Volunteers of America's programs and services encourage positive development, foster independence, and promote self-sufficiency, providing individuals with the guidance and resources they need to make positive change happen in their lives.